Saturday, March 24, 2007

No spinal --- no hospital stay!!!

Brendan is frustrated --- wouldn't you be??? He has no control over anything to do with his migraine -- He can't read -- it hurts his eyes, he can't be on the computer -- it hurts his eyes, he can't play video games -- it hurts his eyes, he can't do his homework -- it hurts his eyes, he can't go outside during the day -- it hurts his eyes. Yeah - I'd be pissed also!!! So, he has started obsessing -- not like OCD obsessing but obsession reigns supreme none the less...........AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...AR test....AR test....AR test...AR test...I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon ---I have never missed an AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- I have never missed and AR goal --- the AR period is going to end soon --- Easily 15-20 times a day I hear this. I arranged to bring him to school and he could take a test in the library where it was dark -- either I could read him the questions and answers and let him pick or the someone else could. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO I want to take it MYSELF!!!!! I took him to school in the morning thank goodness it was overcast! He would not let anyone help him. His eyes were watering and I could tell how much it was hurting him but that son of mine --- He only missed one question and far surpassed his "goal" but it took him 2 hours before took the pillow off his eyes. Good move mommy??? The jury is still out on this one!!!!

So, Friday (yesterday) we had our "appointment" at Children's Neuro office. We started with Patti Murphy --- She worked Brendan over pretty well --- lots of questions, history, and exam. Brendan did really well the only part that he balked at was the light in the eye -- What the heck are they looking for I ask ---- just looking is what she said.............She tells Brendan Dr. Edwardson wants him to have a spinal tap. What is a spinal tap Brendan asks. She whips out her dry erase marker and proceeds to draw in great detail. And she walked out the door ---- hum.........not sure I like her so much any more. We explained to Brendan why they would want a spinal tap --- Next, Dr. Edwardson A.K.A. Dr. Doogie. I swear I have shoes older than he is. He put Brendan through the same exact exam as Patti did -- Why the light in the eye I ask....We're looking at the nerve he answers. He is young and he doesn't have any kind of bedside manner --- He told Brendan he had to go back to school full time on Monday and then left the room. Brendan burst into tears!!!!!!!!!!!! Brendan said he didn't think Dr. Doogie believed that his head really hurt. He was trying to figure out how he was suppose to go to school all day when he couldn't even do his homework in his room with the light off. Needless to say Dr. Doogie got banned from the exam room!!! Evidently, he was PISSED!!! Dr. Ferry and Dr. Coleman came in. Brendan was on the verge of a panic attack -- Dr. Ferry was good (even though he is a Red Sox fan!!!) And he put Brendan through the SAME exam that both Patti and Dr. Doogie did!!!! The only difference was that he really really took a long time checking Brendan's eyes. Tears were streaming down Brendan's face but he didn't' move a muscle!!!!! When I asked (in a rather angry mommy voice) why everyone kept shining that light in his eyes - because it was really hurting him. Dr. Ferry said -- It was to check the optical nerve -- swelling indicates infection. Since Brendan's optical nerve wasn't swollen there was no need for a spinal tap!!!!! Brendan must have asked Dr. Ferry 5 or 6 times in about 10 minutes "now, I don't have to have a spinal?" We didn't have to stay!!!!!! Brendan and I were SO HAPPY:) Then he mapped out a plan he wanted to try. Guess what....................2 new meds!!! This brings the number of medications Brendan has "tried" to a grand total of 14!!!!!!!!!!!!! These 2 meds have been shown to work when they have run the course of the "most used" protocol. Brendan takes them before bed and then if it is going to work he'll see a difference when he wakes up. GUESS WHAT?????? No change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called the on-call Neuro to Dr. Ferry would be updated -- want to guess who the on call Neuro was.............Dr. Doogie!!!!! I guess after Dr. Ferry and Dr. Coleman left our exam room they both went and had a little chatty mc chat chat with Dr. Doogie --- He couldn't apologize enough on the phone today. Dr. Ferry told Brendan that he wanted him to work on resuming his "normal" activities. But not to put pressure on himself because all that will do is make his head worse. So, we are looking at MAYBE Tuesday or Wednesday Maybe --- Dr. Edwardson is going to update the "team" and conference with Dr. Ferry in the morning -- then they will call. Now, we wait......................have I mentioned I am sick of waiting!!!!!!!

0 comments: