Tuesday, November 11, 2008

And the heart breaks...............

yesterday after Bob's service Brendan and I went to Sports Authority looking for a headband(he is so fighting cutting his hair). After he picked out the NON-1970's huge terry cloth one we went to Zumies (currently his favorite store) to check out possible Christmas presents. We were walking back through SA getting back to the car -- Brendan REALLY wants a guitar for Christmas. A real guitar -- I casually mentioned "ask Santa" -- the response was a smirk and shrug -- it literally stopped me in my tracks. I knew this day was coming --- He is 12 1/2 after all --- the pain from ripping my heart out was still there however -

Me: Whats the smirk for?
Brendan: Mom, I know that Santa isn't real
Me: (bursting into tears) Oh
Brendan: I didn't mean to make you cry
Me: It's been a rough day
Brendan: So, is now the time to tell you I know about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy too!!
Me: I need a glass of wine:)
Brendan: Don't worry I won't tell Whitlee
Me: Just so you know you STILL have to do the Santa AND Easter Bunny photos
Brendan: Seriously?
Me: If you want the presents you play the game!!
Brendan: DEEEEAL....and I won't tell Aunt Ginger either
Me: Deal

So, with that my "baby" took yet another step towards adulthood. It turns out that he has known since last year -- evidently there was a HUGE lunchtime discussion -- He asked if he could "help" this year.............................................................. (heart breaking.............)

1 comments:

Rose said...

Oh man. I don't think I'll ever be ready for that day. Still, I bet he'll be a good accomplice for you now. ;)